On Sunday, ex-Beatle Paul McCartney walked down the isle with American trucking heiress Nancy Shevell in 45-minute civil ceremony.
The couple were both outfitted by McCartney’s fashion designer daughter Stella. The groom wore a blue suit. The bride donned a white dress and had white flowers in her hair.
The only other living Beatle, Ringo Starr, was present. Also in attendance was George Harrison’s widow Olivia. No doubt there in spirit, was John Lennon, whose 71st birthday happened to fall on this happy occasion.
Hundreds of well wishers gathered outside Marylebourn Town Hall, cheered and showered the happy couple with confetti.
McCartney and Shevell got engaged in May. It the third wedding for McCartney. His first wife Linda died of breast cancer in 1998 at the age of 56. His divorce from second wife Heather Mills in 2008, after four years of marriage and the birth of a daughter, ended bitterly.
Shevell, 51, a second cousin to Barbara Walters, was previously married to lawyer Bruce Blakeman, who unsuccessfully ran for a New York Senate seat against Democrat Kristin Gillibrand in 2010. The two have a 19 year own son.
Shevell is an executive at her father’s company New Jersey Motor Fright, which has annual revenues of $400 million.
A party followed at McCartney’s home and there was not one, but two, wedding cakes; one traditional and one vegan.
On Oct. 3, McCartney told People magazine, “It’s a good time for me. I’m happy.”
Paul McCartney is in the process of putting two new films on his resume.
The first is The Love We Make, a documentary on McCartney’s experience in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks and leading up to The Concert for New York City. Paul was in a plane on the tarmac in New York when the attacks took place. He was forced to stay in the city with the film chronicling his experiences on the streets that day and the planning and performance of the benefit concert.
McCartney said of the concert, “It was an honor to be able to help New York and America at that time in its history. There was a feeling of shock and fear in the air that I thought we could help alleviate with music. And the fact that so many people stepped up to join us made for a very uplifting evening for us all.”
The film was directed by Albert Maysles (Gimme Shelter, Grey Gardens) and Bradley Kaplan (Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out!) and also includes such luminaries as David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Jay Z, Billy Joel, Elton John and more.
The Love We Make will debut on Showtime September 10, the night before the tenth anniversary of the attack.
In addition, Roger Friedman’s Showbiz 411 is reporting that Unique Films is working on an animated adaptation of McCartney’s 2005 children’s book High in the Clouds. Little more is know about the production other than the fact that Paul has already written a number of songs for the film.
The Beatles legend insists he has not yet been approached to sing at the London Games next summer but is willing to be involved if he is asked.
Asked by Absolute Radio Hometime DJ Geoff Lloyd if he has been approached to take part, he said: “I’ve no idea about that. Have they asked me? No, well I met a man who knew a man.
“They don’t ask me to do everything. I haven’t heard anything about that just yet.
“I’m not looking coy, but, you know, I’m working on it.
“Well, you know, its Olympic, very good running, very good jumping, very good swimming and all that. That’s the basis, you know, and if they’re interested in that I could think of doing it.”
Paul received a knighthood in 1997 for services to music and can’t understand why his former bandmate Ringo Starr ‘ the only other remaining surviving member of the group ‘ has not received a similar honour from Queen Elizabeth, and jokingly claimed he will ask the British monarch why his friend has been snubbed.
He said: “Don’t look at me. I do know the queen, I do know her, but last time I went by she was out.
“The flag wasn’t flying otherwise I would have popped in and said ‘Look, love, Sir Richard Starkey’.
“It’s got a ring to it. And he’s got lots of rings. You see, well, I don’t know, I’ll try and pop in because I do think it’s about time.”
The former Beatles drummer tried to reunite with the only other surviving member of the legendary group, but joked he would only let the bassist and songwriter perform two of his own songs as part of his band’s set.
He said: “I ask Paul every time I put a band together and I promise him two numbers like everybody else. And he seems to be busy at that time!”
Ringo added he also approached guitarist George Harrison ‘ who died in 2001 – to play with the group, but he had told him: “‘Ringo, you’ll have to give me all of the money’!”
The drummer played a four song set with the All Starr band ‘ which includes musicians Edgar Winter, Gary Wright, Rick Derringer, Richard Page, Wally Palmar and Gregg Bissonette ‘ at a press conference where he announced a new European tour, where Ringo admitted he is glad to be back on the road again.
He said: “We were approached, ‘Would you like to do Europe?’ So why not? I do it because that’s what I do. This is still the dream unfolding from when I was 13.”
Ringo also told how he loves his hometown of Liverpool, despite his saying in 2008 there was nothing he missed about it, prompting complaints from locals.
He clarified: “Liverpool is close to my heart, there are people in Liverpool I love ‘ my family, my friends. They thought it was funny. There were three people from the Wirral who complained. There’s lots I miss, of course. I did that joke and I’m still paying for it, it seems.”
Paul McCartney is heading to marriage no. 3 without a pre-nuptial agreement. The Beatle star, just like his marriage to Heather Mills, is not demanding a pre-nup before he says I Do to Nancy Shevell.
After over four years of dating, McCartney is said to be so secured of their relationship that he didn’t ask his lawyer to draw up a lengthy document to protect his wealth even though his last marriage cost him around $44 million in divorce settlement.
Instead, his lawyers drew up a simple one-page paper that states that in the event their marriage fails, Shevell won’t make a claim on the trust funds of any of his children, according to the Daily Mail. And that seems to be enough for both of them,
And while others are worried that McCartney’s lack of regard to protecting his wealth will end up in another sordid court battle if their marriage doesn’t work out, the music legend is confident that he is doing the right choice.
For one thing, Shevell is said to be the opposite of Mills, a former model. She is already a successful businesswoman, and her trucking magnate dad is reportedly “richer than God.” She doesn’t need McCartney’s money to be rich.
And while Mills craved fame and fortune, Shevell seems content to let her future husband bask in the limelight while she stands quietly at the side.
McCartney was first married to Linda McCartney. And while their relationship was a happy one, it ended tragically when Linda succumbed to breast cancer in 1998. Shevell was also married before, but she divorced Bruce Blakeman, her college sweetheart, in 2008.
The Beatles legend amazed revellers at the Californian festival over the weekend when he popped up at the Dutch house DJ’s set in the dance tent and started spinning some tunes in the booth as girlfriend Nancy Shevell looked on.
A source told The Sun newspaper: “It was a weird and once-in-a-lifetime experience. Macca popped up in Afrojack’s set and was having it on stage behind the DJ booth. Nancy was standing behind him like a typical house DJ’s girl.
“I think a lot of the ravers thought they were seeing things – when word spread around the site, everyone thought it was a wind-up.”
Usher later joined Paul on stage and the two had a dance-off in front of thousands of clubbers.
The three day event saw headline sets from Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire, Kanye West, who closed the festival last night (17.04.11) saying it was the “most important show” he had performed since his mother died suddenly in 2007.
Arcade Fire performed another of the most sought after set sets of the weekend, which culminated with the band releasing hundreds of huge colour changing balls into the audience.
The spectacle was a collaboration with artist Chris Milk called ‘Summer Into Dust’, part of The Creator’s Project, an initiative by Intel and Vice magazine, which paired a number of artists with bands for audio visual presentations over the weekend, including Spiritualized and Jonathan Glazer, Interpol and Animal Collective.
For more information visit www.thecreatorsproject.com.
Paul McCartney’s son has covered one of his father’s tracks with The Cure. James McCartney plays on a new tribute album which sees artists including Billy Joel and BB King record songs from Paul’s post-Beatles solo career and with his band Wings.
Paul reportedly helped arrange for James ‘ who has previously played guitar and drums on some of his solo albums ‘ to record with the ‘Friday I’m In Love’ rockers for the record.
A source told The Sun newspaper: “James was over the moon at playing with The Cure. He’s always been a big fan. They all went into a studio in Sussex and hung out together.”
Paul, 68, is said to be pleased The Cure appear on the album, as he has a good relationship with the band’s frontman, Robert Smith.
The insider added: “Over the years, Robert Smith and Paul’s paths have crossed countless times and he is chuffed having The Cure pay tribute to him.”
Other artists who have recorded versions of the ‘Band On The Run’ singer’s work include country singer Garth Brooks, Paul Rodgers and rockers KISS, who take on Wings’ 1975 track ‘Venus And Mars/Rock Show’.
About their contribution, the band wrote on their facebook page: ‘We consider it an honour to be asked to participate on a tribute to one of the most influential and greatest singer/songwriters of all time.
‘Not to mention, a major force in the most important band of all time, The Beatles. Wow!’
The ‘Man Who Can’t Be Moved’ group – singer Danny O’ Donaghue, guitarist Mark Sheehan and drummer Glen Power – have enjoyed success in Europe and the US but believe it is due more to their work ethic than being better than their peers. Danny – who was previously in boy band MyTown with Mark – said: “I think our success has been down to hard work. I don’t think we’re any more or less talented than any other band.
“I just believe that we’ve put the grind in, being in different parts of the industry since we were kids.
“We’re not reality TV stars. We knew that a band in their late twenties trying to hit the scene would have to do it the old-fashioned way, playing gig after gig after gig.”
The group admit their success has come quicker and bigger than they expected, but they never take anything for granted.
Danny added to the Daily Mirror: “With us it’s just lads wanting to play good songs for you. We always wanted to play bigger places, but didn’t realise that we would be doing that in such a short period of time.
“To have U2 and Sir Paul McCartney turn around and ask us to support them in the same year was a dream come true. But I know I could be back without a job in 10 years. You can’t take it for granted.”
Steve Martin’s second Bluegrass album coming soon. Steve Martin’s second Bluegrass album coming March 15 When Steve Martin ascended the charts with his comedy albums and the single King Tut, few would have believed that he would eventually score one of the biggest bluegrass albums of the last decade. On March 15, Martin will try to do it again with Rare Bird Alert, recorded with his Steep Canyon Rangers along with help from artists like Paul McCartney and the Dixie Chicks. Martin is a bit in awe of his guests. “It’s very hard to believe. I was a kid when I first heard Paul McCartney, and if you told me one day that he’d be singing one of my tunes, I’m still flabbergasted. “Rare Bird Alert represents an intense, but joyful period of songwriting and touring. My love of this music continues.” Steve wrote all thirteen songs on the album, many while he was touring with his band in support of The Crow. Also included is a live version of King Tut. Tony Trishka is producing.
Paul McCartney is to sing at Prince William’s wedding. The Beatles legend has reportedly been approached to perform for the future king of Britain and his fiancee Kate Middleton at a Buckingham Palace reception after their April 29 nuptials because the couple believe his music has universal appeal. A source said: ‘William and Kate have chosen their wedding list and Paul McCartney is their number one choice to perform. ‘They can’t think of anyone more perfect to kick off proceedings.’ Paul, 68, is said to have confided in pals that he feels ‘privileged’ after receiving the invitation a few weeks ago. The source added to the Daily Star newspaper: ‘Prince William is following in his mother Princess Diana’s footsteps by inviting a host of famous friends to join him on his wedding day. ‘Paul McCartney has been asked to do a few numbers and he said he feels very privileged.’ A royal spokesperson has so far refused to confirm that the ‘Get Back’ singer has been asked to play, only saying: ‘none of it has been finalised’.